The GIS Coordinator in the Maintenance Bureau supports spatial data collection and maintenance efforts for central maintenance and the maintenance field offices. The Coordinator works on the Geospatial Coordination Committee and supports bureaus that do not currently have GIS staff. A GIS intern would directly assist the GIS Coordinator as needed with ongoing GIS and data activities in the following areas:
- Review and evaluation of GPS tablet data for quality
- Maintenance and development of the bureau-based GIS data, metadata, web-services and web-maps
- Collecting data using imagery of assets such as guardrail, attenuators, etc…
- Assisting with the development of basic ArcGIS desktop, tablet training, webinar recording, and web map training materials
- Development and maintenance of paper map series for DOT staff
- Creating new databases and entering information from paper documents
- Preparation of new geodatabases for use with Collector, Survey123 apps
- Documenting and maintaining records on data processing procedures
- Conducting digital and paper document research
- Collecting field data using Survey123, Collector, QuickCapture applications on an IPad
- Development of ArcGIS Dashboards, Storymaps, etc.
- Evaluating new tools for field data collection, analysis, etc…
Duration: May-August (up to 40 hours/week) transitioning to part-time hours in the fall (up to 20 hours/week) if student remains eligible.
Other Requirements: Requirements: The position is only available to students who are currently enrolled in a degree program pertaining to the position duties with preference being to students going to school in Iowa.
Salary starting at $15.81/hr.
# positions available: 1
Supervisor: Shawn Blaesing (Shawn.Blaesing@iowadot.us)